Thread: Where is everyone from HMH-462?

1. Newly Registered User John Hodge's Avatar

Where is everyone from HMH-462?

Come on you guys. How many are going to Reno in July? Even if you aren't going, report in, so we can all re-unite. I can't believe we (462) is having such a poor showing. We had several hundred people pass through. Where are you now?
    Semper Fi

John [Hodge] Nicholson

2. pm3777

Been there

You are singing to the Choir here. I was on that theme before & some responded. I know from being with HMH-462 for 14 years on Okinawa, hundreds rotated through there. Guess most of them had been in a diffrent Sqd in Vietnam. We end up each year with 463 . SF PM

3. Newly Registered User John Hodge's Avatar

Reno

Great! I look forward to seeing/meeting you there. I'll be looking for you.

Do you remember Sgt. Cruikshank? Do you know of his where-abouts?

John
    Semper Fi

John [Hodge] Nicholson

4. pm3777

14 years

John names after hundreds of Marines rotated thru Okinawa in 14 years lost me. I probably would recognize him if I saw him. In your case I recognize the picture but did not remember your name when I saw it. Being a mature 79 1/2 years probably adds to it. Look forward to seeing you and other in Jul. SF PM

5. Newly Registered User

HMH-462

In researching my military records I find that I was with 462 when we were at Marble Mountain and aboard ship in 1969-1970.

I was in flight ops and went by the nickname GOHAN

Paul Rice
    Greensboro, NC

6. Newly Registered User bobdag's Avatar
    I am Bob Dagley (Sgt) and was with HMH-462 in Phu Bai in 68-69. I transferred to HML-367 with about 4 months left in country.
    I worked in the Maint. office and and was a gunner. It's hard to remember a lot of names but if I hear some maybe I'll remember.

7. Birdman
    Hi all, I was in HMH462 from Mar 74 through Apr 75 during Eagle Pull and Frequent Wind...most folks just called me "Birdman" because I am a falconer. I was in the Metalshop on board the New Orleans and later the Oki Boat. Hung out with Danny Collup, Harry Cunningham, Dave Petronis, Crow, Tony Gonsalves and that bunch. Got out as a Sgt in Sept 75 at Santa Ana. Glad to see some familiar names on here...
    Brian (Birdman) Kellogg

8. Newly Registered User Snakefield's Avatar

Hey folks, I served with the Screw Crew from 1988-1992. Deployed A & D Models to Okinowa Japan, Pusan Korea and Subic Bay Phillipines. In Aug. 1990 we broke the planes down at MCAS Tustin CA and loaded them onto C-5's and deployed to the Big Sandbox, where I spent about 8 months or so as a Gunner during the 1st Gulf War. I qualified as a crewchief in Saudi Arabia just before coming back home to Tustin. Shortly after returning from the war, we transitioned to the Echo's. They were pretty impressive, but I would take a A or a slick D over an E model any day. Would like to hear from any of the old crew.

SnakeField
    HMH-462
    53A/D Gunner
    GWVet

9. Newly Registered User bjsigman's Avatar

Screw Crew Present

I was a C/C in the Screw Crew on Oki in '78-79 and at Tustin from 79-80 after they rotated to start the Unit Deployment Program.
    BJ Sigman

10. Newly Registered User

One More 462 Vetran On Board

Served In The Screw Crew Several Times In The Late 70's, 80's And Early 90's. One Pcs Tour 77-78 And About 6 Udp's. Gulf War Vet As Well. I Remember Paul Moore, My Former Boss B.j. Sigman, And Ronny Wakefield. Some Of The Best Times Of My Life Being A Crew Chief And Helicopter Maintainer. I Too Am Suprised Not Much Response On This Squadron Board.

11. Newly Registered User Snakefield's Avatar
    Rocky Panos, that's a name I haven't heard in a long time. Glad to see someone here from my time with the screw crew. Did you finally retire? This is Ronnie, in case ya didn't know. Any Idea if Stickman is still alive and kicking? Look forward to hearing from ya. Take care Gunny.
    Snakefield........

SnakeField
    HMH-462
    53A/D Gunner
    GWVet

Glad To Find This Site

Hi Guy's, I Was In 462 In Late 74 When It Replaced Hmm-164 On Board The Okinawa. I Was With The Huey And Cobra Section And Hung Out With Jim Shaw (crow), Dave Petronis, Wayne Koster, Becker And The Rest. We Were In The Evac's Of Cambodia And Nam. Birdman Was There With Us But I Can't Remember The Face. I Left The Squadron After The Float Was Over In Aug. 75.

Nice Hearing Some Old Names.
    Semper Fi!
    Bob (gabe) Gabelein

13. Newly Registered User

Stickman

Quote Originally Posted by Snakefield View Post
    Rocky Panos, that's a name I haven't heard in a long time. Glad to see someone here from my time with the screw crew. Did you finally retire? This is Ronnie, in case ya didn't know. Any Idea if Stickman is still alive and kicking? Look forward to hearing from ya. Take care Gunny.
    Snakefield........

This is Rick McDaris. Steve (Stickman) and I were roomates for a few years while we were at Tustin. I spent a few years in 462. "83-"89 or thereabouts. The last I heard of Stick, he was living in the Jacksonville NC area and was married. I went back to Tustin in "91 after a tour at Parris Island. Steve came over to mine and my wife's apt. to eat one night before he retired. I'd love to hear from him too. Rocky gave me my first crew chief check ride after I reported to "the Screw" I wonder if the squadron still has "Screwman"?

14. Newly Registered User phrgflyer's Avatar
    Hey Guys,

I spent my first 4 years 69-73 in HMX-1, got out of whirlybirds and went fixed wing until 82 with MCAS Iwakuni, C-12 and SAR HH-46A then came back to MAG-29, HMM-263 in 86-91, 2 times in the persian gulf, first in 87 and the second in 90-91. Did a NEO out of Mogadishu Somila in Jan 91 then back to the Gulf.

15. Newly Registered User RDPayne's Avatar

Thumbs up Deuces

In 1964 I was assigned to HMH-462 out of 'A' School.
    The base (LTA) was called MCAF Santa Ana at the time.
    I don't recall all the names, but I recall Escotto, Omilak, Bratkowski, and I'll probably remember a few more after I send this!
    I was with '462 again in '73-'74 aboard the 'Brokinawa and later the New Orleans.
    I won't be able to attend the reunion this time due to a scheduling conflict:
    I have to attend a family wedding and I don't have the shekels to cover both.
    I'll be pleased to see everyone next time around!

Semper Fi!
    Ray

Thumbs up Deuces

I went to 462 out of A school in 1961-1962, went to the far east and back in 63 to 66 including the tour in the far east. Still enjoy communicating with several of the OLD deuce guys.

17. Newly Registered User
    Well I'm here, I was a screw crew member from late 1988 to early 1990 and did one UDP in 1989. I spent a bunch of time at Yuma with Stickman (Steve Tenney), did the WTI thing there as well.

Here's who I remember off the top of my head

MGySGT Kessler - quite possibly the stupidest mofo I've ever met in my life

Tom Boblett - lives in AZ now, saw him several years ago and worked with him a little in Lake Charles, LA

John Greenwood - roommate for a while. The guy could walk in a bar and get laid at the drop of a hat

Jeffcoat - knew him from HMX and was him roommate for a while in Tustin

Joe Studley

John Noe

Perry Watkins

James Christy

Kirk Eller

black guy Smith (Smitty)

Fong

Snuffy?

Goo - anyone remember him? I saw Johnson in another thread, he ran a lot of phase stuff

Bull (Bullman?) Had a cool tattoo with a two-face girl, said something about "forever"

Wojtas - heard he was killed in a house fire?

Mike Bunter - worked with him at HMX, I think he went back to 462 in '90 or so to be the Maintenance Chief

John Sigman - I saw him at an HMX reunion last year and worked for him there. Second best boss I've ever had, Steve Tenney was the best until that POS Kessler ruined him while we were in Okinawa

XO was Farley, knew him from HMX

lots more, that's all I can think of at the moment

Hmh 462

Just received my SRB and found out I was stationed at MCAF Santa Ana with 462 from December 65 until April of 66.

For the life of me I cannot remember any one who was there with me.

Some names keep popping into my head. Ippilito,Kwatikowski,Gonzales but I dont remember where I served with them.

Anyone else from that era out there.

Charlie
    charlie baker

19. Newly Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by GABE View Post
    Hi Guy's, I Was In 462 In Late 74 When It Replaced Hmm-164 On Board The Okinawa. I Was With The Huey And Cobra Section And Hung Out With Jim Shaw (crow), Dave Petronis, Wayne Koster, Becker And The Rest. We Were In The Evac's Of Cambodia And Nam. Birdman Was There With Us But I Can't Remember The Face. I Left The Squadron After The Float Was Over In Aug. 75.

Nice Hearing Some Old Names.
    Semper Fi!
    Bob (gabe) Gabelein
    Didn't Dave petronis have red hair?

20. Newly Registered User

Hi Birdman

Quote Originally Posted by Birdman View Post
    Hi all, I was in HMH462 from Mar 74 through Apr 75 during Eagle Pull and Frequent Wind...most folks just called me "Birdman" because I am a falconer. I was in the Metalshop on board the New Orleans and later the Oki Boat. Hung out with Danny Collup, Harry Cunningham, Dave Petronis, Crow, Tony Gonsalves and that bunch. Got out as a Sgt in Sept 75 at Santa Ana. Glad to see some familiar names on here...
    Brian (Birdman) Kellogg
    I was in avionics with the CH-46 attachment at that same time.Only name I recognize on your list was Petronis. Didn't he have red hair?

21. Newly Registered User

Screwman

Quote Originally Posted by Rick McDaris View Post
    This is Rick McDaris. Steve (Stickman) and I were roomates for a few years while we were at Tustin. I spent a few years in 462. "83-"89 or thereabouts. The last I heard of Stick, he was living in the Jacksonville NC area and was married. I went back to Tustin in "91 after a tour at Parris Island. Steve came over to mine and my wife's apt. to eat one night before he retired. I'd love to hear from him too. Rocky gave me my first crew chief check ride after I reported to "the Screw" I wonder if the squadron still has "Screwman"?

I just recently checked into HMH-462, was doing a little research on Screwman, and came across this forum. Being the junior pilot in the squadron I have the honor of guarding Screwman -- yes he still exists. On that note, I was wondering if anyone could provide me with his history. When was he made? Who made him? and why is there a hole through his belly? I'm guessing for a screw... Thanks in advance for any info.

St8shooter

Been A While Since I Looked On This Site. Yes Dave Did Have Red Hair And He Is From Seattle Area. I Hear He Works At Boeing Now, Last I Say Him He Was On Top Of A 47 At An Airshow. Birdman Was Going To Try To Have A Get Together In This Area With Some Of The Guys.

23. Newly Registered User JAGarland's Avatar

Now

I live in central Florida. Originally from Mecosta, Michigan.
    I spent a month O.J.T with HMM-163 Evil Eyes in 99
    Then from OCT 99 - OCT 03 Spent with Power Plants 41M/ MALS-36 on Oki
    Last edited by JAGarland; 08-25-2009 at 08:24.

24. Birdman

Petronis

Quote Originally Posted by St8sh00ter View Post
    I was in avionics with the CH-46 attachment at that same time.Only name I recognize on your list was Petronis. Didn't he have red hair?
    Yep he has red hair (prolly gray now!!!) ) My name (Birdman) is Brian Kellogg, I was in the metalshop.

25. Newly Registered User

Another 462 Crew Chief ...

Quote Originally Posted by JStanford View Post
    I just recently checked into HMH-462, was doing a little research on Screwman, and came across this forum. Being the junior pilot in the squadron I have the honor of guarding Screwman -- yes he still exists. On that note, I was wondering if anyone could provide me with his history. When was he made? Who made him? and why is there a hole through his belly? I'm guessing for a screw... Thanks in advance for any info.
    Tom "TP" Benton, Ch-53D Crew Chief overseas during 74-75: Kangaroo I (TAD to HMM-164 for that one), then with HMH-462 for Eagle Pull & Frequent Wind. Rotated to the world June 1975. Current member of VFW Post 3873, Naperville, IL. Looking forward to meeting many 462 folks at Reno! This will be my first PopASmoke Reunion.

26. X2happy

reno

wife and I will be there.Almus Dean

27. Newly Registered User Rich Erickson's Avatar

Is there a coordinator?

I only spent a few months with 462 in early 1970 before going on float...but I'm still a alum!! Who is the POC for the reunion? Are we doing t-shrits or hats or anything? I'll be there wandering around with that dazed and confused look.
    SF,
    Rich

28. Newly Registered User

boss aters

hi how is everyone from the screw crew.i would like to hear from you guys ,boss aters

29. Newly Registered User

I'm here

hey old "screw crew buddies", I'm here. Still the same, living in Prattsville NY

30. Newly Registered User

bossman!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by hogballs rion View Post
    hey old "screw crew buddies", I'm here. Still the same, living in Prattsville NY
    Quote Originally Posted by bossman View Post
    hi how is everyone from the screw crew.i would like to hear from you guys ,boss aters
    where the hell you at???? email me,,,ch53gysgt@hotmail.com.. hogballs rion

31. Newly Registered User
    im trying to figure this out is this donnie

32. Newly Registered User

Re: One More 462 Vetran On Board

Quote Originally Posted by ROCKY PANOS View Post
    Served In The Screw Crew Several Times In The Late 70's, 80's And Early 90's. One Pcs Tour 77-78 And About 6 Udp's. Gulf War Vet As Well. I Remember Paul Moore, My Former Boss B.j. Sigman, And Ronny Wakefield. Some Of The Best Times Of My Life Being A Crew Chief And Helicopter Maintainer. I Too Am Suprised Not Much Response On This Squadron Board.
    Hey Rocky,
    Visit my Facebook page and check out my Screw Crew friends. I probably have 30 to 40.
    Search Ricky Applegate. Check out my Screw Crew pictures too. Take Care.

33. Join Date
    Aug 2001

Thumbs up Re: Where is everyone from HMH-462?

Quote Originally Posted by John Hodge View Post
    Come on you guys. How many are going to Reno in July? Even if you aren't going, report in, so we can all re-unite. I can't believe we (462) is having such a poor showing. We had several hundred people pass through. Where are you now?
    HEY John If you get this and your still around Send Me a Quick E-mail.
    J.J. HALL( Jerry)

34. Newly Registered User bjsigman's Avatar

Re: Where is everyone from HMH-462?

Screw Crew 1978-80--Oki and Tustin. I'm still around. Sosa and Fiori and Gy Bermudez are still around. Anybody know wherer Jimmy Dye got to?

35. Newly Registered User

Does anyone remember Lt Col William R Duncan? He was the Commanding Officer during the grand canyon run in the 1960's.

He is still alive and kicking at 90, I am trying to covertly get him in touch with members of his old unit.

V/R,

William R Duncan

36. X2happy

I was in 462 with Colonel Duncan in early 60s.
    Flew some Grand Canyon hops. Glad to hear the Colonel is alive and well at 90.
    Gy/Sgt Dean

I was in 462 in 61/62 and yes I remember Col. Duncan.

GySgt James Batt

38. Newly Registered User

If anyone is interested in talking to my grandfather, my email is muttiniraq@yahoo.com

I am the younger enlisted model.

V/R,
    William R Duncan
    Corporal USMC

39. Newly Registered User

Smile Re: Where is everyone from HMH-462?

I was in 462 from Jan 61 to Sept 64. I remember Col. Duncan very well. I Didn't make the Grand Canyon trip. We were in Yuma at the time, 24 on 24 off. I was off of course.Great to hear he is doing well. Cpl. P J Spellman

Thread Information