POPASMOKE VISIONS PHOTO GALLERY

Home / User comments

Filter
Display

• Wayne Stafford - Sunday 28 July 2019 15:21
    This plane was directed to pick up two wounded Marines from a booby trap. It was an ambush. The plane had a perforated oil cooler and armor, shredded radio compartment, numerous holes in the deck, no aux hydraulics, no instruments, a round trapped inside the crew chief's ICS box, numerous miscellaneous holes near the rotor head, two jugs hit and a slightly wounded co-pilot from a round glancing off the cyclic. The plane made it to Con Thien saving the whole crew.
  • John Martin - Thursday 11 July 2019 20:48
    I have this picture stored away.I can't forget that voyage. I joined 265 when they were leaving Phu Bai going to the Tripoli. I arrived in Phu Bai just in time to catch the last bird out for the ship. Had only been in country about 18 hours and was leaving already. Toward the end of our time on the Tripoli we were sent to the Philipines for repairs to the ship. The day we were leaving Subic Bay was the day the USS Forrestal caught on Fire. We were told that we were going to her aid but then cancelled because there were more than enough already there.
  • John Martin - Thursday 11 July 2019 20:19
    photo was in front of 265 ready room at Phu Bai 1967. Doug Delude on left. Was told he was only marine to be awarded silver stars on two consecutive days.
    Guy in middle 2nd from left is Richard Evans from Macon Ga. On his first in country extension in 1968 Richard was wounded in the leg flying a test hop with Gunner Poe. He ended losing the leg due infections from the surgeries at atlanta va in 1970. Never met Doug but Richard showed me the photo in 1967 and told me about Doug.
  • Dick Haley - Thursday 11 July 2019 03:12
    Crew of YZ19
  • Dave Goyette - Wednesday 19 June 2019 17:42
    I was duty NCO (overseeing the club to prevent rowdy behavior) the club one night in 1966 when Gen. Carl stepped in. I immediately called everyone to attention. The Gen. told me to keep the noise down as confessions were being conducted in the nearby chapel. Needless to say, the club was unusually quiet for the rest of the night.

General Carl was a sincerely devoted man.
  • Dave Goyette - Wednesday 19 June 2019 16:59
    As a Sgt, I served with MABS 36 S-3 and Security Platoon in 1966. My tent was one of those closest to the bluff. Moved to a hut just before I left.
  • David Knopf - Sunday 16 June 2019 17:32
    In April, 1967, the 1st platoon, hotel co 2/7 , took over guarding the bridge. On the second night we had it, it was blown. No Marines were
    killed or wounded. However, at least one sapper was blown up with the bridge. That had to be an accident on their part because we didn’t know they were under the bridge until it blew-up.
    A pontoon bridge was in place within a few days. But, the railroad line north of DaNang was severed for months.
  • Dana Neil Wellesley - Monday 10 June 2019 06:58
    I served with Gary Doss in Sea & Air Rescue in H&H Squadron Kaneohe Bay Hawaii 1968-70
  • Paul Gregoire - Thursday 30 May 2019 19:33
    Although this photo was in the Life magazine article about the March 31, 1965 strike it was taken a few days before that mission. I believe it was taken at the Special Forces camp at Kham Duc near the Cambodian border. Larry Burrows told me it was selected for the article because it was the best picture he had of the squadron pilots being briefed with a line of H-34s in the background. The two guys standing at the left side were advisers. I think the one with the bush hat was an Aussie. Seated on the ground in front of those two is Lt/Col Norm Ewers the squadron CO. The skipper was a three war Marine. He passed away in April 2019. Seated to the skipper's left is Lt. John Hax. Seated to the skipper's right is Lt. Denny McKinnon. To Denny's right with his back to the camera I believe is Lt. Dale Eddy. Dale was shot through the neck on March 31 and was the focus of Jim Farley's rescue attempt. To Dale's right, almost touching his elbow is Lt. D.B. Williams. Between Eddy and Williams is Lt. Orv Pratt. On Pratt's right is Lt. Ron Cater and between Pratt and Cater wearing sunglasses is Lt. Dave Holland. Partially obscured by Pratt's head is Capt. Jerry Shirley. On Shirley's right is Capt. Don Waunch and on Waunch's right is Lt. John Gorely. I don't know the guy in front of Gorely so he must be one of the SF guys. I'm in there somewhere, probably off to the right.
  • Paul Gregoire - Thursday 30 May 2019 18:48
    Wayne Hoilien (Left) and Vic Soto (Center). I don't know who is on the right. Photo taken in early 1965 when we were still living in the old French barracks at Danang. Hoilien was Jim Farley's gunner on March 31, 1965, the day that was memorialized by Larry Burrows in Life magazine.