Announcement

Collapse

Terms of Use Agreement

1. You agree, through your use of these public Forums, not to post any material which is unlawful, libelous, defamatory, obscene, vulgar, sexually orientated, abusive, hateful, harassing, threatening, harmful, invasive of privacy or publicity rights, inflammatory or otherwise objectionable. You also agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you. You further agree not to use these public Forums for advertising or other commercial enterprise purposes. Any questions directed to, or concerning the administration of this website, will be sent to admin@popasmoke.com and not posted to the public Forums.

2. All postings express the views of the author, and neither the administrators nor POPASMOKE will be held responsible for the content of any postings submitted by the Members or anyone else. The administrators of these Forums reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any postings for any reason. Members who make postings on the Forums which are not in accordance with the Terms of Use Agreement, risk having their posting privileges withdrawn.
See more
See less

Helo Crews in Japam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helo Crews in Japam

Saw on tonights news that a few helicopters were dropping water on the reactors in Japan. The newsperson kept saying they were CH-47's but when they did a close up it was a Phrog with EP on the aft pylon. I hope they all get decontaminated ASAP after each hop. They all need our prayers now.

Re: Helo Crews in Japam

On the news here on the west coast this morning, we were watching HMM-265 unload food items and water.

Like you Larry, I hope they decontaminate the crews. I'm sure their parents and love ones are worried to death for their safety.

S/F Gary
    HMM-263 '66-'67

Comment

Re: Helo Crews in Japan / One of us

Both HMM-265 and HMM-262 have deployed from MCAS Futenma for relief operations.
      Lt. Col. Damien Marsh, CO of 265 has been doing updates on his facebook page.
      I had the pleasure of his company at the Old Tiger reunion dinner in Dallas 2009 as he joined us after serving as XO with HMM-262 in Iraq.
      Wish them well on this mission.

Just for clarification: He's the one that can still fit in a uniform
      Attached Files
      READY - SQUAT THRUST - BEGIN

Comment

We tipped a few beers with Damien (XO 262), Sluggo (CO 262) and their men at the Tom Saba memorial in NY. Tom was the 262 clp lost when 262 just were in country for 2 weeks and Tom was doing a medevac with another squadron and the 46 got shot down. This memorial was a year later, since the squadron was deployed to Iraq and Tom's squadron mates couldn't make his funeral. I was there for the funeral and the memorial. Damien is wearing his Tiger jacket that he passed on to John Mee the current 262 CO.
        Attached Files
        Semper Fi
        Tim

Comment

Re: Helo Crews in Japam-de-contamination

Gary, they have said they get de-contaminated after each mission. I do hope that is correct. I've been watching FOX as much as I can, and they do show 265 quite a bit, both dumping the water on the plants, and hauling supplies. Semper Fi, and READY-APP.

Comment

Re: Helo Crews in Japan

Popasmoke member and HMM-265 CO, Lt.Col. Marsh has been posting about the cold weather and how the Dragons have been delivering food and oil to small villes in the north. He has a photo of his stubby wing with about five inches of snow on it - something I have never seen before!

Comment

Dale, even though it was below freezing in Nam a bit, I never saw a 46 fly with it on it either. Bet the Crew was cold as ever. No, they would have the windows in, which would help a lot. Looks like Japan will shrink in usable size very soon. We will give them free housing, food, cars, and whatever they need to be american. Semper Fi, and READY-APP.

Comment

Ace,
                I don't know what part of Vietnam you served in, but I never recalled below freezing temps. Sure it got cold during the monsoons, but we never encountered icing conditions. As a matter of fact, the heaters and anti-icing apparatus were removed from the 46's to lessen weight.

http://www.gate1travel.com/southeast...am-weather.htm

J.D.

Comment

Yes they were taken off jd. But they were still freezing conditions up around the Z during March of 69 because I was flying then. I was from Chu-Lai, to the DMZ, from 1 Feb.,'68 until 27 Aug.,'69. It didn't stay cold very long, but it did get to freezing, a few times. My gunner got there before I did, and he had to get a Flight Jacket. They were gone by the time I needed one. Yes I challenge you about the freezing conditions. Not bad, had no snow, sleet etc, but it did get just to freezing a few times around then. It was colder than I wanted it to be.

Comment

Originally posted by popasmoke View Post
                    Ace,
                    I don't know what part of Vietnam you served in, but I never recalled below freezing temps. Sure it got cold during the monsoons, but we never encountered icing conditions. As a matter of fact, the heaters and anti-icing apparatus were removed from the 46's to lessen weight.

http://www.gate1travel.com/southeast...am-weather.htm

J.D.
                    From what I could find, the record low for Hanoi in March was 52F and Saigon was 66F.

Comment

Was at Chu Lai and Marble Mtn March 67-Nov 68--No Freezing---Upper 40's a few days. Just a lot of humidity in winter (monsoons) so felt cold above 1500 ft. Only wore flt jacket a few times. If ice was observed forming, must of been flying above 30,000 ft !!

Comment

Re: Helo Crews in Japan / One of us

http://www.dvidshub.net/video/110269...elivers-relief

Always talk to the Crew Chief if you want to know what's happenin'

Comment

Re: Helo Crews in Japan

On Col. Marsh's posts - they call it "Operation Tomodachi"
                          If I remember from Futenma correct that means "friends"?? Anyone know for sure?
                          I remember it cause they refered to the crabs as "little friends" and it was something like - chisi tomodachi - I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Howdy View Post
                            From what I could find, the record low for Hanoi in March was 52F and Saigon was 66F.
                            Looks like they were at a good warm level. I bet you they were places in Vietnam that had ice. Lot of big mountains there. No one can tell me there was no ice in Vietnam for sure, because they did have mountains like lurch had in New Mexico. He had ice most the winter. I believe we were talking about vietnam, not just hanoi, or saigon. There are a lot of other places there than just those 2 places. I bet several mountains had ice for several days during that time. NO ONE can say one way or the other. Semper Fi, and READY-APP.

Comment

Originally posted by Howdy View Post
                              For the record: 52F = 11C

The normal lapse rate is 2 degrees C per 1,000 feet. That is, if it is 11 degreess on the ground then under "normal" conditions it would be 9 degrees at 1,000 feet AGL, 7 degrees at 2,000...

So, if the temperature on the ground is 11, freezing is definitely a possibility under some conditions and and altitude.

Comment

Working...
                              X